Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Obligatory Sexual Harassment Post

So, I finally found a job! I started training there on Monday. I will be working as a customer service representative for a cosmetics company. I myself do not use cosmetics, but I have a lifelong preoccupation with many of those who do.

On Monday we had the obligatory warning speech and paperwork signing with HR. Of course, the subject of sexual harassment came up, as it always does. I looked toward the wall and rolled my eyes. "There they go again," I thought. It's always been a touchy subject for me. The HR representative was reading her little sheet full of examples of behaviors that could constitute sexual harassment. When she read the words "unwanted advances," something stirred within me.

"That's not fair," I protested. "All of my advances are unwanted."

The HR rep was phased for a moment, then she looked at her sheet again. She nodded her head as if confirming something to herself. "Well," she replied, "'unwanted' does appear to be the keyword here."

Touché.

No comments :